Competition Makes Me Try

Jake - NY, NY, 10471, New York

Being competitive is what makes me want to keep going back out there. I want to prove something. I’m ready to take on the challenge that the sport has given me. I understand why I didn’t win last time, and I won’t make that same mistake again. I refuse to lose, and if I do, the only thing I can do about it is go back out there and try to win the next time. That’s what makes me love baseball so much. I get competitive and I want to win, though I can accept a loss. With my competitive attitude, losing makes me try harder and harder every time.

My parents always say that comparisons are odious, but I have come to disagree with them. Comparing myself to other people is what makes me try harder. If I don’t have anyone to compare myself to, then I have no reason to try harder. What’s the point of pushing myself if I have no one to compete with?

I play in a little league. This year, at the beginning, I was struggling with my batting. I am a competitive player. I always want to be the best I can be so I was disappointed when other players in my league were hitting better than me. I knew if I really pushed myself I could start hitting and eventually do better than other players. I pushed myself to the point where I thought if I tried any harder I would explode. In the end, it worked. Ever since I thought about competing with the other hitters, I have been hitting tremendously.

I compete to be the best, to show I can take on the challenge no matter how big. I push myself to be better than I was before when I compete with others. But the real person I compete with is myself. I want to be the best I can be, nothing short of that. I don’t settle for a good hit; I want a great hit. Being competitive is why I try. If there were no competition what would be the point of trying? This I believe.