Who Am I?

Melanie - Lemon Grove, California

I believe in finding out who I am. I am the youngest of six kids. I have three older brothers and 2 older sisters. To know who I am you have to know where I came from. My father, Donald Lynn Leavitt, was the youngest of six boys. My mother, Shari Elisabeth Groeger, was the second oldest of five kids. My parents were both 21 when they got married. My father just got off his mission, for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and my mother was preparing to go on her mission. About 5 months after dating, they were married and sealed for all time and eternity in the Los Angeles Temple. Now thirty years later, my parents are happily married with six children. My three oldest siblings: Brad, Kim, and Greg are married, while my other brother Jeff and sister Katie are single, like me. Growing up I was never sure who I was as an individual, since I am the youngest, mostly because I didn’t get the choice of what movies I wanted to see or what music to listen to in the car. Yet, from the few months I have been away at college, I have been able to learn who I was as an individual.

I have learned more about my personality then I ever thought was possible. I love my family, but as much love I have for them I needed to go to college where I would be far enough away that I couldn’t see them. The reason was that since I have been on my own, I have made my own decisions and choices that no one else influenced. i now know that music I prefer to listen to and what movies I want to watch. At first I was scared to leave for college and find out who I really was as an individual. I know who I am, what I believe in and where I want my life to go. I am the 18 year old daughter of Donald and Shari Leavitt, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, who wants to become a Chiropractor, but more than the obvious I am a tom-boy at heart who still loves to get all dressed up on Sundays. I am a girl who loves her family and could never side against them. I fight for what I want and I am not afraid to stand for my rights and family. I may be shy and soft spoken but I will not let others walk over and take advantage of me. This is who I am, an ordinary teenage girl who believes in herself and knows that as long as I want to do something it is possible. I am not perfect, and I accept that fact.