Failing is Not Always a Bad Thing

Chase - Appleton, Wisconsin

I believe that if you want to succeed you must fail first. Like the great Michael Jordan said, “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

One example is when I was playing golf one summer. It was a beautiful but very windy day and I was playing a junior tournament. I started out good but then it all went down hill. I started to play bad and one bad shot led to another and before I new it, the round was over, and I had played terribly. On the ride home I reflected on what had happened on the course. I only came up with one thing that I had overlooked and it cost me severely. I did not take into account that the course was playing very hard, and that it was very windy. I had to high of hopes for myself because when I played the course the night before and I played very well and I accepted to play like that during the tournament. The next day during the tournament when I started to hit bad shots the whole round went down hill and it never got better.

I was very mad about this but then I realized that something good actually came out of this. It was the fact that I had failed but I knew I had to keep trying. I knew that I was a better golfer than that, and the only way to prove it to myself, and my peers was to play another tournament, and play better in that one. If I would not have played in another tournament I would never have gotten the chance to prove to myself that I was better than that. I could have never played a tournament again and that would not have helped me at all.

I believe that in life everyone is going to meet new challenges and obstacles that they can’t get over at first. I also believe that if everyone in the world gave up when they failed at something than we would never have had successful people like Abraham Lincoln, Michel Jordan and other people like them. If you go through life without failing you are not trying very hard to challenge yourself. You are just doing the bare minimum to get by. This strategy works sometimes, but most of the time you will find that you will not be as happy, and you will wish you would have tried harder in life. Like the great Ben Hogan said, “As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you lonely get to play one round.”