Brotherhood

Ryan - Plaistow, New Hampshire

I believe in brotherhood. It was the last game of my teams travel soccer season. We had shut out the last team 2-0 to make it to our championship. We were a great team, it seemed like we would have won the whole thing.

The night before at a pasta party the team had voted me the captain for the game. We sat around, watched game film, and shared past stories of our experiences in high pressure situations and other key things from our season. We had all become brothers throughout this year and we were all convinced that we would take it all the way no matter what it would cost.

We played our game that next day and it was a tough one. The other team took an early lead but right before half we knotted the score at one. We went into the second half with a determination like no one could match. My teammates and I played our hearts out and I lead my defense to keep the other team from scoring.

Staying tied that whole game was the toughest part. We had many opportunities but we couldn’t finish. We went into a double overtime. First team to score would win the game… no one scored. This was the championship game so there had to be a winner, there was no ties or draws on this stage. We went into something that no team likes to go into… penalty kicks. In penalty kicks it doesn’t matter how well your team played throughout the game, it’s decided on 10 kicks, five kicks for each team.

Being the captain I took my kick third. We were tied and if I had scored we would take the lead. I took my kick and I missed. My team relied on me to keep them in it and I let them all down. We went on to lose that game and my season and my career with my team was over. I cried that game with the rest of my teammates, we knew we should have won but we couldn’t.

I believe in brotherhood no matter what happens to you or them. It’s something that will stay with you no matter where you or they decide to take your lives. Brotherhood is eternal even if it was for only a little while.