The Pavement and Me

Jaimie - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in my running shoes and the pavement. When it’s just the trail, and me I’m in my own world, nothing can catch me, or stop me. When my brother left for his mission I was the only one left at home. I went from having all five of my brothers and sisters home to just my parents and me. I was so devastated, that my parents actually considered sending me to a psychologist. I didn’t want to go. So I had to find my own outlet. It was running.

I started out with just going around and around my block. I could leave everything I was sad and upset about at home. Each time I went out I would go further and further away from home, I was challenging my own boundaries. All I would tell my parents when I left was, “I’ll just be around the block.” I found myself while I was running. I could think about anything or I could think about absolutely nothing. Either way it would still be just the road and me. When my brother left, I knew that what he was doing was good, that he was supposed to be where he was. No matter how many times I said this to myself, it never really dulled the pain of not having anyone there to talk to.

I had my parents and they were great, but there is just something missing. There is bond between siblings that is unexplainable. When I ran, no one was there asking me questions, I didn’t have to answer to anyone. It was my only escape, where I could just be me and I could cry if I wanted to, I could go as fast and hard as I wanted. No one was there to stop me. For me, my tennis shoes became my best friend. The perfect friend…they never asked questions, they just took me where I wanted to go and let me go as far as I wanted.

The power of those shoes and the pavement got me where I wanted to be, and it still gets me where I’m going today. Things become so much clearer, and I am able to understand what I’m doing. Challenges and trials make sense while I run. Running is my escape and it’s where I can really be me and not worry about anything.