Change

Whitney - rexburg, Idaho

There are times in my life where I say to myself, “I wonder what would have happened if…”,This left me with a sense of regret.

I had always been a quiet person, not because I was shy, but because I just didn’t have anything to say at the moment, or at least I thought that was the case. This left me feeling like I should have done something different in those situations. So I do not have to look back on it and think about what I could have done differently in those situations, I now try to always be an outgoing person and say what ever is on my mind if it is appropriate for the situation.

Since high school, I have strived to become a different person in this area of social communication. I admit, it was hard at first, coming out of my shell, but with time, I have made a lot more friends doing this. People that I knew from high school say that I have changed a lot in that area as well, so in turn I am changing peoples idea about who I really am.

I believe in change.

I can remember people saying things about me that I would just ignore and not say anything. Or people would call me, “the quiet one” in class. Now I look back on those days and wonder why I didn’t speak up and say something. Life is so much better now that I have grown out of that un-sociable stage in my life. I have a lot more friends and I have more fun with whomever I encounter.

An old friend of mine has been with me throughout these awkward stages in my life and has also noticed a big change in how I act. He told me that it was okay to be quiet at times, but sometimes it would put guys in an awkward position on dates, always having to carry on a conversation, which was also difficult to do with someone that wouldn’t like to talk. So now whenever I am with someone, I always make sure to have a conversation going, whether we talk about dogs or the weather, a conversation is carried on so life can go on positively.

From the shy girl in high school, to a happy go-lucky college girl, life is better and full of more happiness because I’ve changed. Everyone can change if they really strive to. It takes some time, but it can happen.