Eric - Hudsonville, Michigan

I don’t know what to believe. There are so many things that influence people and what they do and who they are internally, or at least who they think they are. A few years ago, If I was given this assignment I would of said that I believe that life should be lived to the fullest. Carpe Deim and all that stuff. But the years change you. Time affects a person and it seems like they don’t have a choice. People have said, your outlook determines how you feel when things happen, whether you’re a glass half full or a glass half empty guy. But sometimes we need to realize that we stop and look, the glass is completely empty.

This change is neither good nor bad if you realize something. And I guess that is what I really believe. I believe that when things happen, you shouldn’t have to try to see the bright side. When you do that, it makes the really good parts – The parts of your life with the most juice, seem inconsequential. I guess I just believe that we should feel how we feel. The man with the deepest depression, if he makes it out of , will have a greater appreciation of what is good than the man who, the whole time, tried to see the positive side and when he made it out and thought, “Oh, it’s my perspective.”

I believe that life is better when you don’t choose to roll with the punches, when you decide that sometimes, when they feel like mass riot beatings, that it might be better to give up. When you feel that type of low it can only make the coming high so much more enjoyable. When we accept that maybe this point in our life is crap, and that maybe it will get better and maybe it will not, I think that lets us experience ourselves at our most human, our most vulnerable. We surrender to the waves and that tends to be our Saviour. We can’t save ourselves thought selective perspective or positive thinking. It’s a lie. It’s denial. It’s fake. Instead, at least I believe, that when things go wrong, so should we. It’s our very nature to not be strong people. It’s natural to give up. It’s natural to feel terrible. Why not? What’s so wrong with feeling sad or angry or sick or insane. What I believe is that seeing the glass at half full or half empty means that it’s always in the middle, I would rather enjoy it when it’s completely full and sulk when it’s all gone.