Words of Music

Mariya - Sofia, Bulgaria

A circle of brilliant light is projected upon the stage. Colorful rays radiantly penetrate the three dimensions of the beautiful auditorium. The people in the audience have taken in their breaths as if they have been sitting in a vacuum. The curtains are finally lifted.

Even at this very moment I can see every pair of flashing eyes fixed on a single part of the stage. I remember this – my first stage performance. Stage fright. Stronger than my will. Completely paralyzed as I am, I have to step on the stage. Every single step from my samba variation escapes my head. Nothing there. Void. The moment lasts as much as ten seconds, but it is the longest day of my life. Then the music starts. As swiftly as they have fled out of my mind, the steps appear, untouched. The vacuum fills with oxygen. Not even the slightest nervous flick of stage fright can hit me. The rhythmic melody of samba sustains me and soon I am dancing completely oblivious of the audience.

I believe in music in the way some people believe in magic. Music is my refuge and my dream world run by my own powers. Where words fail, musical notes succeed: they trespass limits and travel beyond reality. They create the freedom which nourishes my life.

Music affects me stronger than any disease, but it does not make me ill; it heals me. It creates a new realm, reflecting my personality in a silver mirror of reverberating sounds. Whatever I feel, my favorite Rhythm & Blues song can make me jump up and down out of pure joy. Then the dark sensation of Symphonic Metal can drown this happiness without a trace.

Carlos Santana, once said “Just as Jesus created wine from water, we humans are capable of transmuting emotion into music”. I completely agree with him. What musicians create is more than art: their music is a force that draws particles of life to itself and turns them into an illusion powerful enough to become reality.

I do not create music. I just dance. I just sing along. I just feel it.

I do not create music. Music creates me.