Eric - Appleton, Wisconsin
Themes: courage, work

I believe that high risks are essential to living a successful life. You must take every chance you can get because you’ll miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take.

I was born on September 19, 1991 and since that day; my older brothers have molded me into success. Growing up in my house was chaos. With three boys my mom was always busy with cleaning up something and my dad was always in the backyard throwing a baseball around with us. Sports were a constant part of our lives.

Luckily I found myself in the place of the youngest. As I went through elementary school I watched my brothers closely. There were times I was proud of them, and there were times when I hated them. Just like any other brothers you can find. Watching them grow up I’ve had great role models and bad role models. I’ve seen them take risks that have taken them to the highest places. My brothers have each found a passion and took risks to get them to where they want to be. I’ve seen what I must do to create happiness within myself and to feel successful.

I began playing soccer at a very young age. It is definitely a passion, something I love to do. Just like any other sport, it’s a game of skill, but also risks. The most memorable win to me was when I took a risk that put our defense on the line. The score sat at zero-zero and the minutes were growing long. It was almost time for the final whistle and I wanted to win this game. On a quick transition I flew up the field from my defensive position. A risky situation if the attack is snuffed out. Building up a counter attack the ball went to the outside. I found myself making a run into the box as the ball lofted through the air. Being young and not experienced I closed my eyes and put my head towards the ball. With a thunk the ball struck my head. When I opened my eyes I saw the ball in the back of the net. My first goal of a header, I was ecstatic, and I won us the game.

Without taking risks I realize I won’t make anything of myself. But with high risks there are high returns. I relate this to anything in life, not just sports. Risks are the way to make your money grow, relationships flourish, and make you successful.