Its all about Family

Emily - Greenwood Village

Whenever we get together as a family, our activities always seem to follow the same pattern. First, we eat the amazing food our mom makes: huge meals that would feed a small country, because of a huge over-estimation on how much will get eaten. This all happens with all the grandkids in the background, fighting for the attention of their parents. Next we usually play an intensely competitive game of either phase ten or canasta that always does the trick of putting everyone at odds with one another. Then, after everyone’s tempers have cooled down a bit, we reminisce for hours about the silly or mean things we did to each other growing up. We tell stories, like the time my sister accidentally kicked me off the back of the bed in the middle of a wrestling match so that I did a flip and landed not only on my head, but also on a strategically placed card-holder. Or there was the time that my sister, when being teased by her older brothers, called the police and told that her brothers were beating up on her. The stories go on and on for hours with the whole family near tears from laughing so hard. Going through this routine is essential to the catching up with the family members that we have not seen in a long time. It reminds the whole family of the things that we have in common and the past that we had together.

We are far from the perfect family, but because a great effort of our parents, we are able to stay close. We have been able to look past the modern ideals about family and be so close. This I believe: that the relationship with family is the most important relationship in life, whether it is husband and wife, brother and sister, father and daughter. Family is the ones that can be counted on for help when no one else can. Family is the people who love you no matter haw many stupid things you do. There is nothing in the world that I would trade for those times that I have had with my family.