Choice to pledge

Telisha - Rexburg, Idaho

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…One Nation under God…For liberty and Justice for all!!” I stand and say the pledge of allegiance with pride. Our fore fathers founded our country on these principles whether we like it or not. They fought and died to give us this liberty and justice and I believe that we should be given the right to act upon it. When I heard that many people were trying to take this right out of our schools I was shocked! What would our fore fathers say if they knew that we were taking the rights away from those that they fought so mightily to preserve? How could they want to take away a choice that our fore fathers gave to us?

Now don’t get me wrong, I also believe that we should have the right not to pledge if we don’t want to but that choice should still be available. When I was in grade school, we would recite the pledge of allegiance every morning in class. One of my friends and fellow class-mate was a Jehovah Witness and his belief was not to recite this. He would just sit during this time and it was no big deal. Nobody forced him to stand or to recite it. He was given the choice and able to act upon that decision. This is how it should always be. Freedom or Liberty is about having choice. The right to say what we want, the right to stand for what we believe in. Saying the pledge of elegance never hurt anyone. It allowed us to show how grateful we are for that Liberty and Justice that God gave us. The first amendment of the constitution and the first of our bill of rights states… “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble…” This was so important to them that some wouldn’t even sign the constitution till this bill of rights was made. How can we take these freedoms away? How can we allow people to deny our children the choice to give thanks to God and to those who founded this country and died for the freedom they now enjoy? I believe in choice and believe that all mankind should enjoy that same privilege.