Jennifer - hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: setbacks

Lemonade.

I believe in Lemonade.

The situations in my life devastated me for a long time and have continued throughout the years. More often than not, I wanted to give up, pull away, and remove my heart. But I have learned to forgive. Unfortunately, this task took me many years to realize how God would look at these situations, and that I should follow suit. What if I turned all of what I consider to be negative things in my life, into something positive. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. My friend has always told me that amidst every trial that makes us frown, God is smiling on us because we’ve grown just a little bit more through the situation he placed in our lives. I believe this to be true.

It was true the night I laid in bed after my orchestra concert. I heard my parents fighting. Again. I pulled up the covers and turned off the light. It was silent for a moment, but then I heard foot steps descending down the stairs. I figured it was my mom coming up to my room in an attempt to wipe the redness from her eyes just to tell me how well I did at my concert. I sat up, and much to my surprise it was my frustrated dad. I had always avoided him, because we never got along. He had a problem that I wanted no part of. He asked me a question that I would never forget. My father of thirteen years stared me straight in the eye and asked me if I would be OK with them getting a divorce. Being in eighth grade it was hard to understand why he was saying this to me. He wanted to leave my mom? They were suppose to be together forever. Right?

I see suffering as lemonade because it is God working in me, perfecting me, and refining me for that day- eternity. God sends trials to test us and allow us to grow spiritually. They either allow you to shine or give way to the slippery slope that Satan wants us to fall onto. I’m not saying that the lemons will taste good if you look at things positively, but if we stick to the recipe, the Holy book, in the end it will turn out for the best.