Insignificant Events, Significant Impacts

Chad - Hudsonvile, Michigan

I believe that miracles don’t come as big flashes of light or lightning strikes to the brain. They come as normally insignificant occurrences that under the usual circumstances would be completely ignored.

God is here. There have been times that I’ve doubted that. Times that I thought that He was only here for the good times. And times that I thought that maybe, maybe He was only here for everyone else. But no matter what happened, no matter how far away I drifted or how alone I felt, I always ended up in the same place: unequivocally sure that God is still here. The reason I ended up in that place, is because every time, without fail, a miracle would happen and I would realize just how great God really is.

At age six I went to visit my grandma in the hospital after she’d had a stroke and was told she wouldn’t recognize me. I was crying at her bedside when she reached up and brushed a tear from my face with a smile. That, was a miracle. When I was nine my parents got divorced and two years later I still hadn’t gotten over it. I walked into my mom’s room late one night weeping and she pulled me into a hug and looked at me straight in the eye and said, “Remember, no matter what happens, I’ll always love you.” Miracle. A year ago I walked into Walmart feeling like God had left me completely alone, only to pick up a tie with the story of the footsteps in the sand printed on it which read, “During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, I didn’t leave you, it was then that I carried you.” Again, a miracle.

I’ve never seen a man risen from the dead nor water turned to wine. What I have seen though, has left me in awe. Not because of some cataclysmic event that changes the fabric of existence forever. But because of the minor events that occur at the perfect time. Because of a dying woman defying all odds, because of a mother knowing exactly what to say, because a well placed tie in Walmart, because of the mysterious way in which God has chosen to influence my life, I will forever be changed.

I believe that the smallest events make the biggest miracles. I believe in the wonderful mystery that is God.