Seeking To Possess

Heath - Hudsonville, Michigan

Seeking to Possess

I believe in seeking wisdom, and in seeking wisdom it can lead you to understand what it means to possess it. To me, these words carry much more than just speaking them; it’s acting upon them and taking them to heart.

It was another casual Sunday, and after returning home from church, the whole family had grabbed their customary places. Even though I was reclined in my chair, I couldn’t relax. I had been thinking nonstop about what the pastor had preached to us earlier: “Don’t compromise your beliefs,” because it would lead you down a road of pain and suffering, a road that could be avoided if you know what you’re doing. He ended by saying: “Take these words to heart.”

My dad was relaxing on the couch across from me. He saw me with a puzzled look on my face , and I figured this was as good of a time as ever to ask him what Dr. Stanley was talking about, because if I wanted to understand how this affected my life, why not consult with an “expert” on the subject? “Dad,” I began, “What did Dr. Stanley mean when he said don’t compromise your beliefs?” My Dad thought for a moment how to respond.

I had picked up that it was important to stand strong in my Christian faith, and to not let anyone tell me otherwise. All the while, though, I still was trying to picture what he said in my head.

The fact that he sat there explaining it to me for about an hour and a half was what got to me. I couldn’t understand, after this, why he was so passionate about this one lesson out of the thousands we had heard in the past. For what seemed like the longest hour of my life, I couldn’t stop thinking about what he told me; it was constantly in my mind.

The realization started to creep in slowly but finally reached my comprehension. How it managed to get through, I didn’t know. I realized that I sought the meaning of the lesson because I wanted to understand. It was because I had sought wisdom — and found it.

To this day, this lesson holds strong to my life and guides me through day by day. Although the lesson itself helped me develop my method of seeking wisdom, it was how I tried to embrace the lesson at hand for that day. The method I developed out of this experience has helped me to pick out certain things in life that normally just pass other people by. Seeking wisdom brings change and understanding. Seeking wisdom brings a different perception of life.