I believe.

Katie - Hudsonville, Michigan

I walked down the hallway and as soon as I stepped into the office, my excitement from getting called down quickly changed to confusion. I saw my mom standing behind the secretaries in the doorway of the principal’s back office. She attempted to give me a smile, but from her body language I could tell the reason she was here was not an exciting one. She motioned me over to where she was standing. I knew the news I was about to hear was not going to be good. My breaths became shorter as I slowly walked towards her, my stomach in a knot, trying to brace myself for what I was about to hear. She grabbed my hand with one of her hands and closed the door behind me with the other. A million things were racing through my mind. For what seemed the longest second of my life, she finally gathered herself, looked me in the eye, and told me what had happened. My grandpa, her father, had died that morning. I knew at that moment, the few words that I might have been able to spit out were not going to make my mom feel any better. Instead, I pulled her closer and embraced her with the biggest hug I could give. With that hug so many things were said without a single word coming out of my mouth. A stream of tears raced down her face and I realized sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is simply give them a hug.

I believe in the power of a hug.

A hug can say so many things. A hug can show an old friend how much you’ve missed them with one short squeeze. A hug can show a new friend how much you appreciate getting to know them. A hug can be a friendly hello or a sweet good-bye. It doesn’t matter exactly what you’re trying to say, giving someone a hug shows that person that they mean something to you.

The day my grandpa died I wanted to say so many things to my mom. I wanted her to know that everything would be okay, that her dad was in a better place, that I’m always here for her, and that I love her. I know for a fact that before I could even say these things, she knew them when I held her in my arms. This is why I believe in the power of a hug.