More Than Words

Jon - Hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: love

Love. The dictionary defines it as “A profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.” I believe that love is too complex to put into words.

In today’s world, we use the word love like it means nothing. We say we love pizza, we love peanut butter, we love sports, we love our friends. But if you think about it, do you really love them? Would you always be willing to put that friend before yourself, always stick with them and always be a friend to him or her? Some people today don’t realize what the words “I love you” truly mean. They say those words to someone, but then decide later that they don’t want to be their friend. Married couples say those words to each other, only to divorce later. Love is forever.

Trust should be included in the definition of love. Some people say that they love someone yet they never really trust them and are always second-guessing them. Love is trust.

Love should be unconditional. This means the love should not be changed no matter what. When you say you love someone, I believe that even if she does something wrong, you should not love her any less because of that. Love is unconditional.

I am not trying to sound like I know everything about this issue, because I think I have merely scratched the surface. I think it will be near impossible to live up to love being forever, trust, and unconditional, but I sure can try. I believe that love is so much more than just words.