I Believe anything can happen

Savannah - Hillsboro, New Hampshire

I live with my mom and aunt. My mom is a woman who had been through so much in her life. She deserves the very best. I believe things can and will happen to someone, even if they don’t deserve it. My mom is 47 years old and has had an enjoyable but rough life. She has done everything in her power, to give my brothers and me a good life. She has told me struggles of her life from the time she was little, to the time I was laying prematurely in her warm arms.

In November of 2005 my mom got sick. She went to the doctors, got misdiagnosed, and was given medications we thought were helping her get better. A few weeks later doctors assumed she was still sick with pneumonia. She ended up in the ER about 5 weeks later and needed to stay for over a week to run tests and try to figure out what was really wrong. I remember going to see her in the hospital with my twin brother and aunt. When the doctors finally figured out what was causing my mom so much pain. Congestive heart failure and my mothers whispered “I love you” were all I could hear.

I could remember feeling my eyes well up with tears. That’s not even the worst part; the doctor also said that they couldn’t treat it. He explained that most hearts pump at 75% or higher, and hers was pumping at 15%. I looked over to my aunt and she was crying, I looked at my twin brother and he was crying and that’s when I broke down. My mom held my hand as I noticed tears running down her face. No one really new what to think or say, so we all just stood there in silence thinking about what would happen next. A few days went by and they sent her home with medication, hoping it would improve her heart strength.

As May approached her condition remained unimproved, she’s now on disability and can’t walk more then across the room. The doctors decided to try a new version of the pacemaker, which raised her heart beat to 20%.

During this time we got news of my 24 year old cousin unexpectedly passed away because of a brain aneurism. My mom went to California to help her sister get through her loss. We worried about her from the day she left till the day she came back. We all still worry about what could or couldn’t happen, but the truth is, there is no more we can do, but hope for the best.

So many things can happen in life, and you don’t know if you should be scared or strong. Something could happen to my mom any day, and it’s not something I look forward to. It will be a tragedy that everyday I’m thankful has not yet come. I don’t know what I would do without her. I love her more then words can say.

So you should love your parents, brothers, sisters, and anyone close to you. Tell them you love them everyday… because you know anything can happen. This I believe.