Be yourself

Amanda - Ordway, Colorado

Everyone always worries when they don’t fit in with the “cool” crowd. But in the process of trying to fit in, they lose their sense of individuality.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

I have always, and will always, believe that it is okay to be yourself. There is nothing wrong with being different. Imagine what this world would be if everyone were the same… I know I wouldn’t like it, and I bet you wouldn’t like it either. I believe that instead of shunning each others’ differences, we should embrace them and even learn to love them.

Individuality is the most important gift we could have ever been given. Our uniqueness affects every aspect of our lives, from day to day things to life changing events. Being different than everyone else is not something to be ashamed of; instead it should be celebrated.

A quote by John Steinbeck… “This I believe: That the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.”

People who cannot embrace differences really make me angry. Instead of just accepting the fact that everyone is not like them, they act out and treat those who are different than themselves with no respect. I have seen some people that were treated like garbage just because they didn’t fit into the social “norm” of life. My view: What’s normal? Who defines what normal is?

Does the media define what normal is? Take a look at Brittney Spears… Is she normal? She shaved her head and practically lost her mind…but some people still say she is as normal as the next person. Or Michael Jackson… Is he normal?

How about where you live? Does this define normal? There are places like New York or Las Vegas where anything, I mean ANYTHING, goes. To those that live there, this is just life. But then, think about any small town. Would someone be able to shave their head or get dozens of piercings and still be considered normal?

Judging others based on their differences is no way to live because everyone is different in some way. Instead of focusing on the things that are different, I believe that we should focus on the things that are the same so that we can become closer as a people.

This I believe.