My Daily Planner, Keeping Track of My Own Personality

Josh - Brownville, Maine

Some people say that you can judge a man by his shoes, or by the company he keeps, but I think anyone can be judged by much more than something so plain. I believe that someone can be judged by their day planner.

I understand that a statement like that is very random, and hard to comprehend, but let me justify. At my high school, each student is given a day planner at the beginning of the school year, the hope is that this will encourage students to keep track of their work and try to be organized. So at Penquis Valley there are many planners that blend in with the crowd, but mine definitely stands out.

At first glance, you wouldn’t be able to identify the jumbled mess of papers as a planner, that’s okay though, because most people don’t. I can’t expect someone to recognize such a collection of binder clips, papers, and sticky notes. But the purpose of this essay isn’t to explain the appearance of a planner, it’s to connect the unique calender to my personality.

The main idea of a day planner, to most people, is to keep track of personal engagements and homework. Although I do this, I also use it as a sort of “secret hiding place” for anything of importance to a current Key Club project, or personal interests like books or movies. At any given time, clamped to the pages and folds of my planner, could be permission slips, homework, or even Netflix movies that I have been intending to return for weeks.

I am convinced that all of these things say something about my personality. Originally, it proved that I was trying to be organized, and making an effort to bring order to my haphazardly scheduled life, but eventually, the true me started seeping through, and all of the messy, cluttered details became contributing factors in the make-up of the planner. So what does it say about my personality now? I think it proves that I am myself. I am organized, and cluttered at the same time. If you can wrap your head around such a statement, we should meet and talk because sometimes when I look at the clutter, it even baffles me. My planner has become a sort of Security Blanket, something I need in order to stay on track, but I guess I haven’t completely gone over the deep end yet, because I haven’t given the thing a name.

In closing, I think it is important to reiterate one of my opening statements. People can be judged in many ways, and although there are many methods based on superficial thoughts like possessions or beliefs. I feel that in order to judge someone, you should look at more in depth aspects of a person’s life. I believe that someone can be judged by their day planner.