Cherish the Moments

Kelsie - reading center, New York

You know you’ve had the perfect moment when you can look back ten years later and remember everything that happened that day. If you cherish every moment with those who are important to you, then you’ll never regret moments in your life. You never know when those people will no longer be with you. That person for me was my grandpa

My grandpa was a tall man, slightly balding, and always smiling. He always wore a John Deere hat and cow boy boots. His favorite place was the kitchen table, at which he formed a bit of a beer belly. Over all he seemed like an average old man. However, my grandpa was more than just an average old man to me. He was a very special old man who cared tremendously about me. When I was six he taught me a song called “You are my Sun Shine.” We made the learning process into a game. He laid on the couch as I put out a line of pillows. After every couple of words I would jump to the next pillow. “You are my sun shine,” then I would jump. “My only sun shine,” jump. “You make me happy,” jump. “When skies are gray,” jump and so on. Sometimes I wish I could just stay in that moment forever because it’s the happiest moment I remember being with my grandpa.

Then, I was hit with the new that my grandpa had colon cancer. I knew how much the song meant to him so I would sing it to him everyday, just to make him happy. Every time I would sing the song, he would smile so big. That smile gave me inspiration to smile every day. See, that smile was very special. After singing my song he would give me that smile, and I felt so important and wanted, as if I was the only one on earth and all his attention was on me. That’s why I smile so much everyday; I want to give someone else that feeling of importance, like my grandpa did to me.

It has been six years since my grandpa passed. At first I was sad and missed him a lot, but, looking back now at least I have the memories. All of this goes to show why you should cherish every moment with those you love. Trust me, you wont regret it.