My Dog’s Example

Rachel - Goshen, Indiana

This I believe: that we can learn something from man’s best friend. Not many people think that a dog is a good role model, but when I see my dog, wether he’s staring out of our window, looking for any sign that we’re coming home, or greeting us at the door with a joyful, welcoming doggie face, I see the ultimate example of devotion. No matter how many times I yell at him, or scold him him, or forget I put him in his cage two hours ago, he will always greet me after school, and thrust his head into my hands. He will always love me. And I know that, no matter how much he misbehaves, I will always love him, too. Also, he teaches me persistance. You can see this when he begs for food. No matter what we eat, he will always sit there patiently until we are finished. You would think that, what with his excellent sense of smell, he would figure out which foods are off-limits to him, but he still holds out his hope that we will toss him a bit of our delicious, forbidden “people food”. Another thing he teaches is not exactly an example, but it is a valuable lesson I would have a hard time learning without him. That lesson is to find humor in the smallest things. When my dog wants to scratch his back, he squirms around on the carpet, and snuffs and snorts. Ezery time I see this, I laugh, and every time I imagine it, I smile. This little quirk can turn my attitude around in just a few seconds. So I do believe that people can learn a lot from man’s best friend. This I believe.