Jennifer - Norco, California

I have always been a firm believer that service to others is an important thing to do. It has been a principle that my parents have taught me since I was a young girl. Although I’ve always known it was important to give of yourself to serve others I don’t think that until recently I truly understood the effect that it has on not only the people that you serve but more so on yourself.

Not too long ago over the summer I had a prime opportunity to give of myself to serve others. My mother has always been an active member in our community and has given many hours of her time in service of others. Being a resident of California, many people have pulled together in order to support the Yes on Prop 8 campaign, and knowing my mom I knew that she would be all over this task. She would frequently be attending meetings, making phone calls, passing out flyers, and knocking door to door in order to gain the people of California’s support on this proposition.

As I said earlier, I had always been taught that giving service to others will always bring you more joy even than the person you are serving but I’m not sure I fully understood this principle until it was asked of my assistance with this particular project.

Earlier one Saturday morning my mom came into my room to ask me if I would help her with the Proposition 8 work that needed to be done. There were lists and lists of calls to be made and doors to be knocked and they simply wouldn’t be able to get it all finished in time without the help of a few others. I reluctantly crawled out of bed and was wishing that I had gone to bed at a much earlier time than I had. I pulled myself together, ran a brush through my hair and went downstairs. I noticed my brother had also been recruited for this task and looked just as displeased that we were being forced against our will to help out with this project that our mother had taken on.

Next thing I knew, I had a never-ending list of addresses of houses I had to visit and a handful of Yes on Proposition 8 fliers. So I started walking in the sticky August weather going from door to door asking people how they would be voting and educating people on the issues at hand.

I’m not sure at what point or how many doors I had knocked when I decided that I was doing something that was of great importance. Something that I believed in, and something I felt very passionately about. Even though I didn’t enjoy the idea of having to do all of that work I felt that I was doing something that I felt strongly about. I also felt that I was doing a service to all of the people who felt just as strongly about this issue that I did but may have not been able to help. By the end I felt very accomplished and good about myself that I was able to serve someone and to also fight for something that I felt strongly about. I believe that when you are serving others you become much happier and your attitude about things can drastically change.

Service is something that I truly feel strongly about. I know that whenever I’m having a bad day or I’m in a bad mood I can always do service for someone and without fail I always feel better. There is just something about losing yourself in the service of others that makes you feel happy. This I believe.