With Dignity For All

Cindy - Casper, Wyoming
Themes: equality, respect

For this I believe:

With dignity for all. Change the last words in, “The Pledge of Allegiance” and change the world. With dignity for all, but we’ve all felt the indignities that life throws at us. We are all guilty of life’s indignities on different levels in different situations, and yet I know, we can have dignity for all. We are with a new day in American history. Yes we can!

Indignities, I categorized the offender into four pigeonholes: the blatant, the helpful heart, the financials and I’m so sorry.

The blatant:

“That poor thing!” In the first place I’m a “who” and I’ve been financially challenged but I’ve never been poor. And as far as being a thing,

“What thing am I?”

The helpful heart:

I’ve been introduced as someone who has overcome cerebral palsy and a stroke. That poor thing! One’s heart is in the right place and I can’t say anything. I become a giant handicap with nothing more to offer. I often thought a good come back would be: “And she got over her urinary tract infection just last week!” It’s embarrassing to be known as one giant handicap. Handy, if someone is asking about my hand movements or my speech, tell him or her, “It’s nothing to be concerned about. She’s my friend who has a little problem with her speech. Wasn’t that a good lecture?” If I were black would I be your black friend or would I be a friend? I can’t change what God has given me.

“We all had to overcome something to get here.”

The financials:

“I don’t have to pay her for taking care of my house for weeks on end. She’ll think it’s a honor to take care of my place. After all, she’ll see how important people live.” Pay me! I’ve lived in grand mansions as a child, and I don’t think much of them. I’m nothing and my work is worth nothing. Financial indignity for all who “that” are less. One wouldn’t ask a neighbor who happens to be a plumber to come over to see one’s grand mansion. A plumber would walk in and say,

“Shit happens!”

I’m so sorry:

Jealousy lives in the sorry ones. “I just feel so sorry for her.” After one gets to know me, she must be an idiot savant. She makes me so mad. She’s not handicapped. She must be using drugs or something. I’m better than she. But why does she have so much! She has more talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body! And she doesn’t live in my box, that cardboard box, that the sorry handicaps live in. She lives in a one of a kind architecturally designed masterpiece. She makes me sick; she just doesn’t comprehend what she has! I must tell her about her custom draperies. “You know they are silk.” I held my mouth. What an insult! You mean I can’t make play clothes out of them and sing and dance around Casper. I need to find some look alike fabric.

“I need a play set. See what I made out of my draperies.”

Part of the problem is our view of God gets in the way. The ones who say, “That poor thing.” It tells me that one refuses to acknowledge the God inside me, as I become a thing. A true believer would accept the will of God. If we are made in the image of God, we must accept His will. If we were truly accepting of His will, we wouldn’t have a label for people who are different because we all have a piece of God within us. I refuse to believe in a lesser God or a God who loves me more than another. If I believed in a less than more God, I would become one of the sorry ones. Look at what God has given me. It also sets me up to becoming very jealous; there’s always someone who has more. And I can feel sorry for the sorry ones. See world, God loves me more!

For this I believe,

Have we learned to tolerate the intolerable?

I have a dream that we can become,

One world, one nation, under many names for one’s God with dignity for all.