Putting Life into Perspective

Justin - Indianola, Iowa

This I believe, that each day of my life is another chance for me to grow closer to God by admiring His creation. If at times my life seems to get too busy or starts to become too stressful, I just stop what I’m doing and take a minute to look around at the great things that God has put into my life. Once things are in perspective, I am able to enjoy each day to the fullest praising God for His wonderful gifts as I go along.

It was finals week during the spring semester of my freshman year at college. I had already taken two tests and had three more to go. I was staying up late at night studying and trying to understand why any professors in their right minds would all agree to test me on everything I had learned that semester in a small span of three days. Needless to say I was frustrated and starting to become fatigued. I decided to take a break from studying one morning, and went for a walk to take my mind off of school work. I wanted to have some quiet time in prayer with God. As I was walking across campus, I began to look at all the creation around me and I started to see things in a whole different light. I noticed the beautiful pink colors of the blooming dogwood trees and enjoyed watching the squirrels that were out gathering up their buried nuts. I felt the warmth of the sun on my back as I continued on my stroll. I looked up to the sky and admired a daytime moon shining overhead. I tried to grasp the concept of how far away it seemed, but yet still how close it was to be seen so vividly. I began to think about my family and wondered if they were somewhere looking at that same moon. I felt a real connection with God knowing that He created all these beautiful things.

For the first time that week, I forgot that I had any tests to take. In fact I forgot that I was even at school. I became so caught up in admiring God’s creation around me that nothing else really seemed that significant. Everything had been put into perspective. It was then that I realized that everyday God and his creation were all around me, yet sometimes I just didn’t stop to admire them. I decided right then and there that I would make it a point from now on, to take time and notice God’s presence in every day of my life.

From that moment on, finals didn’t seem quite as important as I once used to think they were. Studying wasn’t quite as stressful, and my problems in life weren’t quite as challenging as I used to make them. Life isn’t always easy, but it’s sure a beautiful gift to be enjoyed once everything is put into perspective.