Lillian - Mamaroneck, New York
Age Group: 65+

I believe that in spite of necessary or unnecessary wars the United States is still a bastion of freedom and goodness. In spite of presidential foibles and mistakes, most of our leaders want to do the right thing. . I believe we are wired to be mistrustful of the other but that experience and familiarity can change our mistrust to acceptance. In spite of lapses of bigotry and prejudice most of our citizens are willing to give the other the benefit of the doubt. I believe that knowledge makes us better. I believe that seeing misery inclines us to help each other. I believe that the 21st century will be better than the 20th because we are witnesses to the world’s calamities and want to stop them. I believe that we need to become better models for our children by consuming less, by sharing more, by listening better and judging less harshly, by extending a hand and not shutting a door. We can do and be better. Mistakes are learning tools. We can make this country a powerful force for good.