Reflections

Alexandria - Hazelwood, Missouri

I believe in looking in the mirror. The mirror is such a forbidden subject because it does not sugarcoat the truth. The shining charmer is deceitful, revealing secret flaws that were never intended to be exposed. When a mirror is used as merely a decoration, it will never fulfill its purpose until someone looks into the brutally honest, pride-crushing jewel.

I will never forget the first time the mirror stepped on my thriving pride. The quarterback of the varsity football team lifted me away from my high school lunch table with his clever conversation. We floated down a nearby hallway in complete bliss. As I gazed into his eyes, his smile was priceless. My childhood companion had instantly turned into my latest love interest. The conversation came to an end and he bid me farewell with a hug and a tender kiss on the cheek. I ran back to the lunch table with my face rosy red. My eavesdropping friends pulled me into the bathroom to tell them what happened in the confinement of privacy. I began to spill my feelings when the mirror caught my attention. I had something in my nose! Of course, I got it out when I saw it, but I was traumatized. I know that he saw it. I was so focused on my Casanova that I did not even think about how I looked. Too many times have I avoided the mirror. I focus on other people and their flaws instead of my own. Avoiding the mirror is easy and caresses my pride with a bit of honey. Evil reunions with the mirror leave my pride in shambles. However, the more I face the demon, the more I improve myself and judge others less. The mirror will never be my friend, but I will always keep it near so that I will never forget the truth.

We focus on ourselves way too much to overlook our flaws. But somehow we manage to neglect them anyway. The mirror shows us what we do not want to see. It is so easy to point out the defects of others, but we can not face the reality of our own. The more we look in the mirror, the slower we will be to put others down. It is funny how we all fall short and do not acknowledge our own downfalls. Looking into the mirror takes courage. Pride tells us that mirrors are unnecessary. Pride also tells us that we are above others as well. Looking into the mirror requires bravery, but the painful results are just as rewarding. Mirrors do not talk at all, but really talk so loud. Everyone needs to hear the truth.

I look into the mirror and see my flaws. It hurts, but the pain keeps me from judging others. The mirror keeps the world from pointing out the mistakes of others. Though the mirror is brutally honest in its ways, it means well. The mirror just wants to see a change in the world. In order to make a change, we must examine ourselves. We all need to look at simply ourselves in the mirror and start there, because trying to fix other people contributes to the madness. The unforgiving jewel is trying to bring all of us together, but it will never be possible if we are constantly pointing our finger at our neighbors. When you look into the mirror, the finger is being pointed at you.

So the next time you see a pretty mirror on the wall; do not just keep walking. Take a good look at yourself as your flaws are revealed. Be slow to judge and quick to acknowledge your own down falls. Examine what you need to change about yourself. Maybe you should not have cursed at that 90 year old lady driving in front of you this morning. Do not let your pride grow out of your control. We can only hope that we will soon be in her same situation. We can only hope that we will grow old enough to see our grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I believe that looking in the mirror can change the world.