The Truth about Maturity

Tucker - Columbia, Missouri
Themes: children

All my life I have grown and watched others grow and never really understood it. Not the physical aging process, but how it affects people mentally. It is so hard to contemplate that we start out in this world as little things in the cradle, screaming and letting our world revolve around food. We know nothing, we feel nothing, we don’t even remember these days a few years later. We then progress to tiny children who can find entertainment and happiness in everything. Now I’m sixteen years old and my life is, well…not bad but it could be a lot better.

I sometimes wonder what happened to those bygone days when my only worry was what to play with, and everything satisfied me immensely. What am I now? I am the perspective of society embodied as a human form. Basically, I am not an American teenager, I am the American teenager. Not my own person, but the person the world wants me to be.

I understand now who I really am: though I act like a young man on the verge of adulthood I am actually still the screaming infant, the child playing in his back yard, and the boy beginning to finally see girls as a boy should see them. Nobody is just one age. Inside people have remnants of their childhood that can still show during the hardest or happiest times. This is why I still feel a thrill waking up on Christmas morning. This is why I still long for a little comfort when the times are tough and I feel I’m alone. This is why the shallowest of insults still manage to cut me deep inside. I claim that I am a mature adult but am I really? This question comes to mind whenever I have a flashback to my childhood years.

So what does it really mean to be mature? Do I have to fit in to the stereotypical teenage boy view of being tough and showing no emotion? I have never known the answers to these questions. I maybe never will. Once I realized that I was still just a child on the inside, I realized that maybe the rest of the world sometimes feels the same way. Children cry, and I know that isn’t acceptable for the teenage male. Children complain about their discomfort, which in teenagers is seen as weakness and not being “man enough”. But being children does not mean being a lowly disquiet life form. To me it means finding joy in every aspect of life, trusting everybody and believing the true nature of humans is to love. That is the aspect of childhood I want to keep throughout my life. I think if we have not lived enough to know better, we have only a positive outlook on the world. And the world is such a beautiful place that we should look at it with amazement.

So no, I’m not a child in the playing with blocks and sleeping with teddy sense. I try to make myself believe in the true nature of the world, whether right or wrong. If we as humans could all do that there would be no hatred, no violence, no bloodshed. We could just all be people who, like children, know that people are all the same. All there would have to be is love for our fellow man and happiness in any situation.

So what do I believe?

I believe there is a Santa Claus.

I believe a kiss is all you need to heal a wound.

I believe a cookie and milk can solve any problem.

And most of all, I believe that people are people and that the love we feel for each other is what drives the world. If we were children again there would be happiness everywhere. I am a teenager and a child, and the two are the same. Children are so much wiser than us and our past childhood innocence continues to show every day-for the better. This I believe.