Family is Forever

Briana - San Antonio, Texas

Family is Forever

Family is a word that gives some people hope and love, but other it can give the hate and grief. Unfortunately some people do not like their families for their own reasons. I believe family should be forever and always be there for you when you need them. I have a rather large family. In some points in my life I had the moment where they weren’t my favorite people in the world. When I was young my aunts and some of my cousin would poke fun at me. They didn’t mean to deliberately hurt my feeling but never the less they did. Not just hurt me but almost scar me for life. My self esteem is pretty much out the door and gone. Now that I am eighteen years old and have grown into my own body and personality the teasing has ceased but yet the damaged has been done. Unfortunately my family wasn’t there for me much of that time. Don’t get me wrong, I did have my parents who never turned their back on me, an aunt and uncle I confided almost everything to, and a few cousins who shared the teasing and could relate to me. As I grew I put my feelings behind me and got over all the hurtful words.

A few years went by and my life grew much more complicated and my family was there for me when I thought they would have turned their backs. The turning point in my life from girlhood into adulthood was the day I found out I was pregnant. I was seventeen years old and scared. Thousands of thought rushed threw my head- How was I going to get through my senior year, how was I going to juggle being a mother, continuing my education to be an RN, and working a job to support my child. I thought all my dreams were going to be put on hold and my family was surly going to turn their backs and I would have nobody. Sure my cousins had my back, saying they would be there if I ever needed anything they’d be there. I was glad that I had a little piece of family there but I wanted it all my family there.

As if my choices hadn’t turned my family’s life upside down but we as a family we were battling my aunt’s fight of Breast Cancer. She was in her second year and she was sadly getting close to the end and we all knew it. I kept my pregnancy a secret from most of my family simply because I didn’t want to add any heartache and grief to those I loved. Around my 6th month of my pregnancy my aunt’s health began to decline and took a turn for the worst. As my aunt lived out her last days I got to talk to her one last time and I promised to her to never let my child leave school and for me to finish school. A promise I will surely never break. My aunt Margie went with God on July 19, 2008 at the age of 46. She was surrounded by many of us, some praying, and some telling her it was ok to go because she wouldn’t hurt anymore. My aunt was strength to get through my pregnancy and to be strong mother and women I have become. I miss her so much and I just wish my daughter would have gotten to meet her just once.

After the passing of my aunt I revealed my pregnancy to my family one member at a time. Some aunts cried, some aunts said she’s a blessing, and some said it was a gift from my aunt. Either way all the reactions was better than I thought would actually happen. My family was there for me. For the first time in my life the family who made fun of me and scared me, were there for me when I need them the most. Throughout the rest of my pregnancy my family called daily to check-in to see if I was okay and how I was feeling. Finally on November 8,2008, I gave birth to my beautiful baby girl who I named Audriella Ann Cabrera. She took my aunt’s middle name and I hope she grows strong, wise and loving much like my aunt. I also am very glad that my daughter is going to grow up with a very large family fool of love and guidance and with that I believe that family is forever.