I Should Run Because I Still Can

Sarah - Independence, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

It was a typical summer day and I was headed to the library to return some overdue books. Pulling into the parking lot, I maneuvered my way to the farthest spot. Being a new driver I’ve found it’s usually best to avoid other cars. I slid the shift stick into park and our great blue Dodge Caravan crawled to a stop. Oops a little crooked. Ah well, I slid out of the car and sauntered towards the library. Ignoring the book drop, I pushed open the door, and placed my returns on the counter.

Something about the day had put me in a good mood, and as I turned and left through the same doors I felt the sun on my face warming me, it was going to be hot today. I turned the corner and started running to my car, a good healthy fast pace run, for no reason other than the fact that I could run. And this is what I believe: That I should run because I still can.

I had come to this conclusion a week earlier, July 4th to be exact, after a visit to my grandparents’ house. On the way home I was replaying scenes of the day in my head. Specifically I was thinking about when I raced my brothers around our grandparents’ lush two-acre backyard. I wasn’t thinking about the fact that I had won- which I had, easily. But I was thinking of how my grandparents couldn’t run, even my parents for that matter. Well that’s not exactly true my parents could run if they really wanted to but it would have to be in an extreme situation. I thought about how easy it was for me, effortless really. But I had never really thought about the fact that other people couldn’t run, it just hadn’t occurred to me. And now as it did, I felt a little silly. They can’t run, no really they can’t run, their bodies won’t let them.

The message to the young is to appreciate youth while you still can: to grasp the potential that lays ahead, to experience life while your body still listens to you. Whenever the message was relayed to me I would politely nod my head and smile saying “Sure, sure.” But now the message meant more. Suddenly I was extremely grateful for being young, for having this invincible body that only seemed to groan slightly when I pushed it around the yard twice at top speed.

I like running, but it’s not necessary to run everywhere: It’s a lot easier to walk. But then the other day I realized that every so often I should run, even if it is so simple as from the library to the car, just because I still can. This is what I believe.