The Results of Positive Thinking

John - Belleville, New Jersey

I believe that positive thinking creates positive results. The repercussion of me approaching a situation with a positive mindset the occurrence will have a beneficial result upon my life. “The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible” (Anonymous). Early in life I was taught, by my parents, teachers, and other adult figures to be positive and not to allow negativity to take away from my experiences. It was not until much later in life that I fully understood this lesson, when I was worried about my future in life as well as succeeding as a senior wrestling captain.

I was uncertain whether I wanted to attend college as well as unsure about my future vocation. I felt constant pressure to decide the rest of my life because everyone else I knew already had a plan for their future. It would have been easy to put my head down and enter into the grind of a non-fulfilling job; however, I stayed positive and kept faith in the fact that I would figure out a fulfilling future.

At the same time I had to deal with wrestling. The pressures and gruesomeness of wrestling easily exceed any other sport. The reason for this is that wrestling is a one-on-one competition in which the wrestler has no one to blame for the results except for himself. This can be a difficult realization for people to deal with. Also, wrestling requires both cardiovascular and muscular endurance while using almost all the muscles of the body constantly. In addition cutting weight has a debilitating effect on one’s body and mind. It easily breaks an athlete’s will to wrestle and succeed. Many wrestlers find themselves barely consuming any substances and going through three or more workouts daily. At this time I had just completed a disappointing junior season, finishing one victory away from participating in the state competition. This was a goal and accomplishment that I had been expected to achieve since my sophomore season. In spite of this, I applied the philosophy that I had learned many years ago. I would workout two or three times a day and envision myself in the crucial match that would determine if I qualify for states. I had a successful season and when it came time to qualify for states, I found myself in the exact position that I had envisioned so many times in my mind. With less than a minute left in the match, I was up by only one point when my opponent took me down to score two points. I was then forced to escape in order to send the match into overtime. I could have easily given up at that point, but I knew that I would escape and then win in overtime. With this positive attitude I proceeded to do exactly what I believed I would do, fulfilling my goals.

Although this was not the first time that I used this philosophy in life, it was the first time that it was truly tested. This was because it was one of the more difficult times of my life. Whether it was making weight, working hard, accomplishing my goals as a wrestler, or succeeding in school, whenever I kept positive I was able to achieve my goals. I learned this is not just a way to view one or two things, but a way to view your whole life. I continue to use this way of living to be productive and to motivate myself everyday. One way or another “positive thinking creates positive results” allows me to do everything that I am now currently involved in. A famous quote states “As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person” (Paul Shane Spear) and that one person can be you and it can be achieved through positive thinking.