Honesty

Brendan - Niskayuna, New York
Themes: morality

I believe that being honest and telling the truth is not only one of the hardest things to do, but one of the most advantageous things to do.

For a kid like me lying seems like an easy thing to do and if you want to fit in with the popular kids sometimes you need to lie in order to do what they do. But lying will only hurt you in life; there are no benefits, only detriments. Kids think they can get away with whatever they want in life. The reality is that kid’s can not just get away with it and most of the kids who do get away with lies, are the ones you see doing the wrong things.

I believe this because even this past weekend I was caught in a lie. My parents have a rule that I’m not allowed to be in the car with a friend who is driving. One of my friends asked if I wanted to go to the movies with him and I said yes knowing that he was driving. I made up a lie to my parents, thinking that it was perfectly okay to do that. Later after seeing the movie I called up my mom to let her know that ‘Kenny’s parents’ were going to drive me to my other friend’s house. Little did I know that Ken was about to drive me home. My mom was very angry with me and that one stupid lie created such sadness and anger in both my mom and I.

For me that lie was such an easy thing to do when I could have very easily just asked my mom to drive me to the movies and then drive me from the movies, to my friends house. But something inside me wouldn’t let me do that and just said listen to me, you can just go with your friend. Kids my age are stressed and just want to go out and have fun and get away from their parents, so they lie. They fear the trouble they might get in but they are willing to cross the line to get what they want.

That is why being honest is so hard but yet it is so easy. If you are honest there is nothing to worry about and you gain the respect and trust of others. On the other hand lying just makes you corrupt and it only leads to punishment.

This is why I believe that everyone should be honest because although it is a very hard thing to do people will appreciate that you were honest and you will be a better person because of it.