We CAN change the world!

Craig - Austin, Texas

Yes WE can!

During much of my life I believed we could change the world if we worked hard and did the best we could. I believed we could achieve great things and become successful and not only change our lives and that of our families, but in turn we would be able to change the lives of others. I believed that if I could rise to the top of the heap, then I could help dictate how the heap was piled and who was allowed to add to the pile (or who was buried under it). Yes, I believed that by working hard (usually for someone else), that I could change the world!

But what is the world that I wanted to change? I thought that I could help others to gain material success if I helped the company grow. I thought that I could help myself and my family by achieving great success. I thought that if I did these things, then little by little the world would change. But… who’s world? And from what perspective?

Well, my view of the world was wrong. My view centered on ME. Ouch…. now what? After finding the truth, and accepting that I am just one of God’s children, my eyes were opened. No, not all the way at first, but little by little until I could see things as they are in ALL the world. WOW, things are not like I always believed when the world was about me. The problems I faced were nothing compared to struggleswith in places like Africa or even the inner cities of America. God showed me many things… starving people, people without water, sickness, dying children. But I also found happiness. Even when I came across people with so little, they had smiles on their faces. Then I found myself asking again… can WE change the world?

At first, I was skeptical. OK, I was sure that I could not do anything about this! But that was ME talking again. Then I asked, can WE change the world. Well, let me tell you this. I no longer work as a manager of a big company. I no longer think about changing the world by adding to MY pocket. Now I just look at one thing. What can I do with what I have to make the life of one other person different? Can we change the world? YES, we can! We just need to each do it one day at a time and do it for the other person and not care about what we get in return. How?

Did you know that children in Africa walk miles to gather water that is full of bacteria and filth? I didn’t either until just a few years ago. Guess what…. we can do something about it. Waste less water! Provides funds for someone that works in the region to get these children clean water! Do something. That is how you change the world.

Did you know that most of the homeless people in our major cities are veterans? Can we help them? Not if you just drive past them every day. Give them a meal! Give them a dollar! Do it for them and do not worry about what happens next. Do something! That is how WE change the world!

So, when you wake up and decide you want to change the world today, I have one piece of advice: Do something! I promise, it feels good!