Life isn’t always fair

Corey - Combined Locks, Wisconsin
Themes: setbacks

“Corey we are now giving you a relaxant.” The nurse told me as I was lying on the surgery bed. That’s all I remember until I woke up an hour and a half later.

Life was pretty fair for me just until this October. My knee was having sharp pains whenever I applied more than just body weight. I couldn’t understand why it hurt so badly because I had never had pain before and I didn’t hurt it when I was playing volleyball. What really had me concerned was when I went to pass a ball and me knee just gave out and hurt really bad. I couldn’t support my weight for over an hour and could not walk without limping for a day. I finally realized that something was seriously wrong so I called the doctor the following Monday. I sat in the waiting room for the doctor to call my name. Twenty minutes later. “Corey,” the nurse called my name. I got out of the chair and walked to her and she brought me into the room. She did all the normal procedures and examined my knee. She told me, “Well it looks pretty swollen. How’s the pain?” I told her, “I don’t know it just hurts when I do a thing on it.” “Well Corey, I don’t know what to tell you, I guess we’ll send you to an orthopedic.” She told me. The next Thursday I went to Dr. Metz, my orthopedic and with out doing any test he tells me I have a torn meniscus. “I only do surgeries on Fridays, would you like to do it tomorrow?” I replied very quickly, “NO!” I am not quite ready. “Well that’s ok, how about next Friday?” He asked. “Sure,” I answered kind of unsure yet.

I had the surgery and everything and now I am recovering. The other day I had an appointment and he’s afraid it’s bone on bone and wants to do another surgery, a micro-fracture to be exact. The doctors drill holes into your knee to create a scab. That means no sports for two years. This is were I found out life isn’t always fair because this injury did not happen from playing sports my knee just didn’t fully develop. This is how I have learned life isn’t fair especially when this happens when you’re young and not expecting it.