Andrew - Atlanta, Georgia

The human potential. Throughout history, the human potential has always been broadened and never stifled. Humanity has had a presence on this planet for only a short time, it would seem in the larger picture. I believe that humanity is here for many reasons – and not all of them are as obvious as science or faith can tell you.

I believe in the endless potential of myself and humanity, and our ability to improve, and aspire – to be greater than we are. I believe in a future where humanity is united – without war, without bloodshed. I believe that words can be stronger than weapons, peace stronger than war and love stronger than hate. I believe in personal perseverance and combined achievement. My life begins with believing in-almost the impossible.

When I was born, many months premature – and even before – doctors told my parents that I would never walk, or talk and that I would be confined to a wheelchair.

Despite all of this, I write these words as a healthy, and normal person, unaffected by the difficulty surrounding my birth to the naked eye.

My mother has told me about my past, and how she refused to believe.

She refused to believe that I would be handicapped. The power of her belief inspired me. For she was right, and so I have come to believe in this about myself: Thinking about when the doctors told my mother all of this, I realized that if I they were right, I could never be anything else – could never become greater than a mentally challenged, wheelchair ridden person.

The power of belief, and its connection to potential – this is something I will never forget, and something that I live with every day. I believe in miracles, I believe that I am alive for a greater purpose than I know – for I could have easily died at birth.

I believe that mankind can live above that which tarnishes it – above killing, above rape, above war, above famine, torture and discrimination and prejudice. Imagine the potential…the potential of humanity – wasted on the negative, and the hatred. I believe in my potential, and my future. I believe the real question humanity needs to ask itself is: does humanity believe in itself? Imagine if we all did, and believe in our future. This, I believe.