Veronica - state college,pa16803, Pennsylvania

Yes, there are many truly talented artists nowadays practicing arts just like I do. Tons of art magazines are filled with continuous pictures: various works of art. Paintings small, big, medium, dark, light, colorful, muted, disturbing, exciting, boring, weird, angry, quiet, beautiful, ugly, you name it. Numerous artists graduate from abundant art schools to pursue the career that is often stereotyped, laughed at, underpaid and unappreciated. Other self-taught artists of various ages join the group to make the word “artist” even more ambiguous and encompassing. (I’m totally eliminating yet another group of “artists” who glue titles of creativity to their forehead but lack both talent and ability at once, in exchange for masterful communication skills and connections). I’m often hit by the phrase “there is so much art out there and it becomes a problem for you as well.” I believe I am different and the amount of practicing artists surrounding me is not an issue for my success.

I believe in myself and in my art that is truly unique. Yes, there are numerous talented artists out there who are wonderful technicians and surpass my abilities way beyond my reach. They have mastered their craft and generate sighs from spectators comparing these paintings to photographic reality. The problem is these are boring paintings. The viewers should read into not only the technique of art-making but also into the idea behind the artwork. Those really wonderful artists nourish their skill at the expense of vision and creativity, given to artists per se to explore in art. Some might think that I’m simply jealous of someone else’s success and I must reply that I’m not, and I can tell you why. Although I think the technique is very important in the art-making, it’s not everything.

I believe both the creativity and the skill should go hand in hand to achieve the maximum result depicted on canvas or paper. I strive to achieve three-dimensional quality in my still life and landscapes because it helps me to communicate my ideas with viewers more effortlessly and clearly as we associate our world with things we’ve seen and touched. I believe that my skill creates that bridge that catches the spectators at first to look at my art. Even if they don’t read beyond the obvious they are pleased with colors and composition. They enjoy seeing nice landscape. Some viewers look beyond mere arrangement and find something particular in my painting that communicates with their life experiences and emotions. This artwork gains instant success in my opinion since it becomes not just a copy of reality but rather a statement of creativity and emotional attachment, speaking to spectators without words.

I believe my art is unique because it communicates with viewers on many levels: some banal and others profound. It creates a new world that is somewhat visually similar to ours but symbolically different. I carry a number of “paintings” in my head at one given moment that I don’t have time to depict on paper and that’s what Creativity is. Creativity is the ability of the artist to see, digest and recreate something worth seeing on two-dimensional surface, to communicate with people without a long talk. I believe that painting is science not only in mastering the skill (undoubtfully hard to possess) but also in maintaining inspiration, imagination and originality in art.