Going Green is Good

Victoria - Lacey, Washington

Going Green is good! I believe in going green to the fullest extent of your ability is what will save our planet from eminent destruction and keep it clean for our children and grandchildren and every other future generation. I believe in this so fully that in have implemented, to the best of my ability, going green in my own life and have seen a drastic improvement in the quality of my life and the spaces I am in most.

Everyday instead of driving or taking the bus or even carpooling with others, I ride my bike. My bike is a ten speed, that is almost as old as I am, the tires are continually flat and the quick release seat is always needing to be readjusted, but when I get home from school everyday I can smell the air be just a little bit cleaner because I rode my bike.

When I need to go somewhere that is to far for me to walk or ride my bike to, I take the bus. Intercity Transit is one of the cleanest, safest rides I have during the week. When I go to appointments or meetings after school or on the weekend, the bus is almost always the way I get to where I need to be. I feel a great sense of privilege in having our transit system. They offer a wide coverage area extending from Thurston County all the way to Seattle and Grays Harbor! There is also a free commuter bus that goes around Downtown Olympia called the Dash. They’re smaller versions of the regular pay-to-ride city bus, but they generate the same amount of activity. It’s great if you just need to go down the street and don’t feel like walking or just want to give your feet a break.

Another way I implemented going green in my life is by using reusable water bottles. My family has always had a stupendous collection of Nalgene bottles, Camelbak packs and now their water bottles, and stainless steel bottles, but now more than ever it is important to reuse you water bottles. Normal disposable plastic bottles contain harmful chemicals (like HPA) that, if the bottle is reused, can cause a variety of health problems. Also those water bottles take hundreds of years to decompose and when they do they are just as harmful to our planet as they are our bodies.

Recycling is not just for aluminum cans and plastic, recycle your paper and even you food. Recycling helps keep the landfills from overflowing and helps prevent the need for more. When you recycle things like bread scraps and apple cores you are keeping our landfills cleaner. Throw them into a compost bin or bucket and throw it into your backyard once a week or whenever it gets full, you’d be surprised by the amount we produce and save by recycling our potato skins!

This is what I believe. I believe in this and use it to the fullest.