This I believe

Madison - Lehi, Utah
Themes: carpe diem, death

We were on a campout with some guys from our church up at the lake. It was a blast; we had been boating and wakeboarding all day and just having a good time. We woke up on our last day and had some time before we had to leave. We decided to go out and set up a zip line. That would be a good last adventure before we leave. We got it all set up and each of us had been down at least once, it was decent, though a little scary starting off. You had to get on a stool and then reach up pretty high to grab the handle at the start, I could barely reach, but then again, I am not very tall. So it was a little scary but it wasn’t too bad. I had just been down and was heading back up to the top. I was standing right under the path of the zip line when it was Kenny’s turn. I stopped and just watched and waited for him to come down. Kenny reached up and grabbed the handle, and had just started going down before his hands just slipped right off. He fell about 6 feet and fortunately landed on the dirt road instead of some of the rocks that lie both just above and beneath. I was one of the first to get to Kenny. He wasn’t responding when we got to him, he had been knocked unconscious. We told some of the others to run and get the adults. They came running down and we continued to try and wake Kenny. Next thing we knew he lost his pulse. One of the adults started giving the mouth to mouth and I was doing the chest compressions. I could hardly believe he had lost his pulse, but surely we would bring him back. Things worsened and we did not have cell phone service. The decision was made to continue the CPR in the back of the truck so we could get somewhere to call 911. Carefully putting him in the back of the truck we continued with it until we got to a gas station where an ambulance met us shortly after we got there. What a relief it was to have the trained professionals there now, they would be able to help. To my frustration they didn’t, and couldn’t, do anything more than what we had been doing for the last 15 minutes. “I’m sorry, he’s dead”. We all went into a shock of disbelief when we heard that. You don’t ever think those things will really happen to you or to someone you’re with. It opens your eyes; and you look at things differently. Real life slaps you in face and says it can do whatever it wants. This is why I now believe that you must take advantage of everyday because life is so fragile, you never know if you’ll be around for tomorrow.