The Smartest Decision I Ever Made, but I Didn’t Say It Would Be Easy

Tyler - Rexburg, Idaho

Recently I’ve come to realize who I am and who I want to be. I’d been just treading water for so long, but not actually going anywhere. I can’t complain, I had every teenager’s perfect life. I look back and think how much more mature I was than everyone with my decision making. I never did anything real stupid, because I knew that’s not who I wanted to be. I had plenty of great friends, was ok with the ladies, good grades, awesome truck. Life was good, but I felt there was something I was missing. Religion was always a scary topic for me because I didn’t know where I stood.

One of my strongest beliefs is you’re only as good as the people you hang out with. I always try to surround myself with people who will make me stronger, and that doesn’t mean that I will only put myself around perfect goodie-two-shoes kids. I have a vast majority of friends. Each one is significant for who they are and I could tell you how each one helps me be true to who I am. I met a girl who changed my life permanently, and I’ll always remember her for it.

I’ve been a convert to the LDS church for close to five months now. She stirred up something inside me that was yearning to be found. I had come to realize I was always kind of feeling lost, or angry, or sad, or a little confused. These emotions don’t show all the time, but just when you’re alone and you have some time to think deeply. One day someone must have slapped me upside the face with a piece of truth because something inside me changed. I just realized what it was I was missing, I felt like I needed to know God. I can’t truly explain it, but all of the sudden I had a burning passion to know what it was that was out there. I looked into the LDS church with the missionaries who were more than happy to talk about it. I guess you can say I belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ before this but I always felt like there was something missing and I wasn’t sure if it was for me. For some reason it just all seemed to click with me this time and I realized that this could be what I’ve been looking for.

“Are you getting baptized because of her?” That was the question I received almost every time I told someone. I believe this question helped me realize what I stand for. I found something that is truly important to me and gives my life meaning and I’m willing to change my life for it. Being the only LDS member on both sides of the family or loved ones telling me what I’ve found isn’t true or receiving some criticism from close friends can’t change the way I feel. I believe that nothing should stand in your way to making yourself a better person and deciding what you want in life no matter what other people say. I believe if you follow your heart then the path your taking can be the path you make.