What Makes a Person

Victoria - Pennsauken, New Jersey

I believe what makes a person is their ability to look back at a hard time during their life, and be able to gain something from it. Growing up I was physically and mentally abused by a bi-polar step-father who was good man who had a good heart, but for some reason did not know how to control his temper. At the time it was very hard for me to love him, and this was when I leaned on the Lord the most, something that I would encourage everyone to do. I prayed constantly for the both of us. I prayed for my Father in Heaven to please soften his heart while at the same time protecting me from his outbursts. Later on, when I was older and he was no longer with my mother we sat and had a conversation with one another. A conversation in which he directed a heart felt apology for all of the things that he made me go through. He kept on going telling me how much it hurt him and how he could never forgive himself for the things he did. I’m sure he expected me to turn away and hate him, but instead I looked at him and embraced him, telling him that if I did not forgive him I would be committing the bigger sin. Although this time period was very difficult for me and my family it taught me strength, forgiveness, and how to put all my faith in my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I believe that the past is not something one should dwell on, but it is something that you should glance back on from time to time. That that is what makes a person. Not the happy carefree moments, but the heart wrenching, lonely, stomach turning bad days and experiences that forces us to grow. That makes us decide and choose which pathway we should walk on. What kind of person to be. I believe a person is shaped by their past, and although at the time you may not be able to understand exactly why these things are happening to you or what will come out of it, there’s always a reason. God has a plan for us, and maybe part of that plan is to test us and our faith in him. This is what I believe to be true.