I believe: Exercising hope makes me move forward one step

Ahyoung - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe: Exercising hope makes me move

forward one step

When I was younger, I held onto something and then tried to stand up by myself. This was a sign that I tried to walk because of my hope.

After I stood up once, my hope forced me to stand up again. I was willing to stand up and then tried to move one step forward. I always have my big cheesy smile on my face which means I don’t want to give up. After trying many times, I finally succeeded to walk more and more. As I am walking, it helps me to step up in other stages in my life; likewise, another event happened in my life when I was in my first year of elementary school. At that time, I was a dependable child who relied on my mother. I had a lack of confidence to try new challenges. I tried to avoid solving them by myself and asking my mom for help. However, in my mind I hoped to be independent. For example, each semester in my elementary school we had field days. We had many games which include: 100 meter dash, 1200 meter relay, obstacle course, solving problems, etc. My first field day made me excited, overwhelmed, happy; I could not express my feeling with words. My whole class attended the 100 meter dash divided into many groups. My teacher divided the groups up by our height. I was in the third group, but my joyful feelings were gone after I realized my friend, who is the best runner in my class, was also in my group. My lack of confidence tells me do not compete with her on the race. After I returned home I was crying like a baby that lost her best candy. My mom noticed and asked what happened to me at school. After my mom heard my story instead of scolding she suggested that I act on my hope to be better. My mom’s suggestion brought me a feeling of comfort, like a sweet lullaby. Finally, my 100 meter race started and then I ran as much as I could with my whole hope to step forward. Each step during my run I put my hope to make me be better and move up another stage in my life. When I finished the race, I could see “winner” stamped on my hand. Yes, I won the race with my hope. Through my experience, I believe exercising my hope makes me move forward one step in my life, which brings me happiness.