I’m leaving on a jet plane

Lisa - hilton head, South Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

Leaving on a jet plane

I have traveled all my life, even as an embryo I was flying overseas. I have lived in 4 different countries and speak fluent Danish and English. My mother always thought it was important for me to see the world, so that was exactly what I did. I imagine she did this so that I could become a well rounded, open minded person which I think I have accomplished.

I believe that the more you travel the more you get to experience life. I have been traveling for about 17 years, which seems like forever and I would not change it for the world. I think it’s amazing to be able to go to a different country and experience their culture. There is nothing better than waking up to fresh croissants in France or having a Danish on your way home from school in Denmark. People undervalue traveling; I think that it helps open the mind to a different atmosphere. If people traveled more, than they would experience something different, which would help them understand something they are not use to. People tend to be afraid of the unknown which usually leads to discrimination, this problem could be resolved if people would just take the time to identify with each other. I used the word identify because when you simplify things we are all human and we all have emotions. In fact we are all more alike than we are different.

I believe that traveling could help fight discrimination, because like I said before, usually discrimination is based off on ignorance. When I was twelve years old and was told that we would be leaving Denmark to go back to America, I was enraged. I could not believe that my mother would take me away from my habitat to a country filled with fat loud slobs, or at least that was what I thought at the time. I was complaining non-stop, and my mom could not have been more irritated. After a while I came to realize that America was better than what I had expected. Although it was no Denmark, it would do for the meantime. And now I consider America my beautiful homeland. I think that this is a perfect example of why people should, as put by my mother, “Give it a chance before ya’ hate it!” You never know what something is really like unless you see it for yourself. Therefore, you should observe before you judge and understand before you hate.