Divine Destiny

Michelle - Napa, California
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I suppose I’d been expecting this, but that still didn’t make me feel any better. It was the day I received my rejection letter from Brigham Young University, the school that I’d been daydreaming about since my freshmen year of high school. So it was onto plan B. My plan B, well, it was plan B, and was only used if plan A crash landed. The backup plan for BYU was BYU-Idaho: same institution, but a different place. Still I wanted to go to BYU in Provo, Utah. It was definitely my first choice for college. No one can dismiss that dream, even if I was handed the “almost dream.”

Now I don’t want it seem as if I wasn’t happy to receive my acceptance letter to BYU-Idaho. I checked my email more carefully, to see if I had received any word from BYU-Idaho, and sure enough I had been accepted! I started screaming and leapt downstairs to shout at my family that I had been accepted to BYU-Idaho.

In addition to discovering my acceptance to BYU-Idaho, I found out that I would be attending during the Winter/Summer Track, which started January 2009. In the meantime, I found a job at a nearby drugstore and worked on a full-time basis. While I was busy saving for school, I tried to spend time with my friends occasionally.

One friend, a crush really, came back into town for Thanksgiving break. We made plans to get together and catch up while he was in town. One night, we went out for hot chocolate and then decided to go somewhere to just sit and talk. A park close by turned out to be a nice spot. We sat on the swings, exchanging stories and advice. It was really nice to simply laugh with him about the same jokes. It wasn’t just the fun that made the night; it was the serious conversations too. We are pretty open with one another and both laugh at the same kinds of humor. Hanging out with him made me remember I still liked him, and he still didn’t like me in that way. We were just friends and that’s how it will always stay.

This experience affirmed that I just needed to go to Idaho. I couldn’t let myself keep hoping or wondering if maybe he might like me someday. Going to Idaho would help me move on, to stop asking “what if?” Out of sight, out of mind is the best remedy. God knew that I needed this distance in order to get over this crush. I believe in destiny, or specifically in divine destiny, where God has a plan for all of us. He knows what situations will hinder or help our growth in life. God places people, challenges, and situations into our lives because he knows they will benefit us in the end.