Insanity Is What Makes Life Worth Living

Keira - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: carpe diem

Imagine what it’s like to walk into middle school for the first time, knowing absolutely no one, and being incredibly shy. You would be nervous, and try to fit in. That was me, and I didn’t do a good job at it.

Back at Whitford Middle School, there were two groups of kids, the “preppies”, kids who obsessed over MySpace and MTV and gossiped. This was definitely not me. I could care less about who did what to whom, believed if you went on MySpace you would get raped and the rap and hip-hop that they played on MTV was simply bad music. The other group only had a few kids in it, which were dressed in bright colors, laughed raucously all the time, and swore like sailors, not having a care what anybody said or thought. Seeing them from across the room, my innocent 6th grade mind classified them as druggies. Of course I didn’t want to be in that group and give into peer pressure, right? So I’d have to deal with being alone.

Well, first impressions aren’t always right. Eventually a new girl came to our school and I befriended her, she saw the “druggies” and although I warned her against it, ran over to them, intrigued by their strange sense of dress and the questionable jokes you couldn’t help but hear from across the room. I dutifully followed her and realized that these people weren’t drug addicts at all; they just knew how to have a good time.

Now, five years later, I have the same “druggie” friends that I earned on that fateful day in middle school. I was such a strict, scared girl back then, I didn’t like attention for fear of embarrassing myself. Anything that fell out of a small realm of comfort was alien and insane to me. Now, I’m comfortable with pretty much anything and love to act out in public with my closest friends. Looking back, I realize how much they changed me when they taught me that life is nothing without the occasional random act of crazy.

It’s no secret that life is short, so why not make it the best time you can? Meticulously planning out every moment, knowing exactly what to expect is not good enough. You may add some fun times in your plans, but nothing beats that jaw-dropping shock of surprise when something you never were able to expect happens. You can’t expect miracles; you have to start them by doing something on your own that’s fun, but that no one would expect of you.

I’m a natural pessimist, so that’s why I enjoy the moments that are nothing more than simple fun more than anything. I realize how fleeting they can be. One day all too soon, you’re going to be old and on your deathbed, how do you want to remember your life? Do you want to regret never taking enough risks? Or do you want to remember how perfectly insane your entire life was?

So go do something crazy, knowing your life will always be just a little bit better with an occasional act of crazy waiting for you around the corner.