Life is a Good Joke

Ronald - Rexburg, Idaho

When I look back at my life, it looks a little strange, a bit up aloof, maybe even a little crazy. Then again, who the heck said life was supposed to be sane? It hasn’t been bad, boring at times, scary maybe, hard definitely, but never bad.

Since birth I’ve been moving around from city to city, and state to state, starting in: Utah, then Maryland, then Utah again, Maryland, Utah, Kansas, Texas, Indiana, Texas, Utah, South Carolina, and finally here I am in Idaho. Unfortunately for me, I had to spend the most time in South Carolina, where I probably experienced the most hardship. It was the state where I had the privilege of enduring all of High School and let’s just say I didn’t really fit in there very well. I wasn’t a big sportsman, I wasn’t the top of my class, I wasn’t much into eyeliner, drugs weren’t my thing and my character died two minutes in on WOW (for all gaming virgins that’s “World of Warcraft” not “Women of Wrestling”, just in case there was some confusion). And so, I floated for what seemed to me like five years… Come to think of it, it was five years.

South Carolina did teach me, however, a lot about humor. I’ve always had a natural sense of humor and have never been afraid to use it, even when I know I probably shouldn’t. Even since I was a kid I was the class clown, but in South Carolina I learned different punch lines. I learned to laugh at myself and the conditions surrounding me. I learned that life can be a joke. My situation was funny. The place I lived was funny. I couldn’t take it seriously or I would have fallen apart. The moments when I did feel lonely and down could easily be cured by a swift self-inflicted slap to the face and a good belly laugh. Why should I have been upset? It wasn’t like I’d be trapped there forever in my emotional loneliness. That was only a small chapter in my life. The best thing about time is that it never stops.

And like most jokes it had an ending. And my family still tells that joke, and we still laugh. Life has been good; heck, it can be a nail gun to the funny bone sometimes, but it has still been good. I sure can’t wait till my next big joke.