Jake - Iona, Idaho
Themes: love

This I believe, that there are many forms of love. This may seem obvious to most people but for me it has never been easy to believe. Even when I was little I never thought my own father loved me. He always had something better to do than to be with me. At first, my parents were split up and I never saw him, he was always doing something else. I never knew what it was, but it always seemed to be more important than me. So when I finally got to spend time with him, it was always doing work. We would go on long trips to get firewood to last through the winter. As an 8 year old kid this was rough, not ever knowing that my dad cared about me. As I got older similar things continued to happen. My dad still continued to work a full time job; he also picked up a hobby or part time job to go with it. My dad also decided to start a small ranch making the time we spend together slim to none. The only time I would see him would be the time I was helping him on the ranch. Where he would be yelling at me for not doing anything right, he would tell me I was worthless and all other kinds of things. Once again he put me number two behind everything else. My view of love was very narrow in thinking that love is something expressed by saying I love you, and spending time together. Now I have come to believe that my father loves me. This has come from me learning to love people by simply serving them. This took me leaving for two years to do service for others to realize that my dad was serving me because he loves me. He wasn’t putting me number two he was putting me number one. He was always working to support me; he was getting extra wood to keep me warm. He started a farm to bring in extra things to help me be more comfortable. He was forgetting himself and serving his family. I was always so worried about myself that I never stopped to think of why he was doing what he was. Then it all changed, for the first time I was now in his shoes serving others and struggling to find enough time in the day to do everything I wanted to do. I was now worried about others and how I could help them. I would do anything to help them progress, even if I had to work like crazy. I think it is almost human nature for us to become so focused on ourselves that we forget about everyone around us. My dad has helped me realize that there are many forms of love and they can be expressed in many different ways.