The Hope Obama Brings

Thomas - Essex Junction, Vermont

On a late October night in 2008, I was drifting off to sleep after a long day, CNN was showing a live feed of Barack Obama speaking to a cold & wet crowd outdoors in the rain.

After working 15 hours between two jobs , while worrying about my mortgage, while worrying about my job and while praying for my 1 year old who has a health condition, I lay in bed as sad as I’ve ever been. From this exhausted daze, relentless concern about the future and worry for my daughter, I heard Barack Obama speaking to that cold and wet crowd. It was an eerie moment where out of sheer coincidence, it seemed he was speaking directly to me and my concerns.

“That’s what hope is. That thing inside us that insists that despite all evidence to the contrary that there is something better waiting around the bend, insists that there are better days ahead. if we’re willing to work for it, if we’re willing to shed our fears and shed our doubts if we’re willing to reach deep down inside ourselves when we’re tired, when we’re down and come back and fight harder…that a brighter day will come.”

As depressing as life can be, Barack Obama offered me something with that speech and the conviction he offered with it that George Bush or John McCain has never offered me. He offered me hope. His words reached into my fears and pulled out a stronger me from another day and I felt hope.

I’m not certain that Barack Obama is going to make this country better, set a course for peace and harmony or do any better than previous presidents but he does bring me hope, and hope is something we all need, this I believe.