Danielle - Lacey, Washington

Truth is life.

And in life, everyone has different ideas of what is right and what is wrong, when to tell lies. Whether any of those lies can benefit people in the end. While I believe that any lie, no matter how it is intended is wrong. And throughout my own life, I have been wronged by many who have told me lies. In truth, we find ourselves we find our souls, our center. In truth we have access to true happiness. This is my belief for many different reasons. In relationships, with anyone, whether it be friend, family or lover, truth is required. And here, I’ve been faced with this decision in which to tell a friend the truth, or to lie to give her comfort.

Emily was sitting lifelessly at the table as I came down the stairs. My eyes seemed glued to her, my head fighting what seemed like World War 3 on my idea of right and wrong. Her plastic fork picked at the repulsive food before her. I watched her, her own actions deciding the winner. And then, the battle subsided, leaving only one winner, one survivor. She would have to know. My hand rested on her shoulder, shocking her to life.

“We need to talk.” Everything seemed to come out in one breathe, the nerves still nipping at my insides.

“Uh, alright, sure, I’ll just grab my stuff.”Emily replied, staring at me with a curious expression. I led her towards the main doors, in need of a quiet place to talk.

“This will probably hurt, and it may be hard to hear, but it’s the truth, and I just want you to know everything, before you make your decision. Okay?” She nodded, gazing at my nerve-struck expression with curiosity.

In this situation, and any, this was right, and in the end, that is exactly how Emily’s truth turned out. Just right.