Disease is a Blessing

Jared - Eagle, Idaho

I believe that God does give us trials and disease because he loves us. I know it is very common for people to think that if God loves us or if there is a God then why do incurable diseases exist? To me this is a funny question because of the way I came to know that God existed is because of the incurable disease that I have. The disease is called multiple-extostosis. I have bone tumors that grow all over my body, especially around my major joints. Because of this disease I have had over 30 surgeries in my life time; Starting when I was only four years old. The disease in incurable and it is hereditary; this means that I have a fifty-fifty chance of passing it on to my children. Do I believe that God punished me with this disease because I was a bad four year old kid? No, I believe that God blessed me with the opportunity to live and to overcome this disease. I remember the countless weeks that I have spent in the hospital after my surgeries, all the pain I felt afterwards, but what I remember most of all is the peace that I was blessed with every time I prayed. It was as if God was there with me trying to comfort me. I felt as if he felt the same pain I did and he was there begging me to make it through this trail and to keep my faith in him. After every surgery I felt as if God had built me up a little bit more. Today I cannot imagine where I would be if it was not for this bone disease. This disease made me who I am today and it continues to shape and drive me to want to be better. Having something to overcome is what gives me the drive to do more. Having one big problem makes me feel like I will be able to work through all of the little ones. So do I think that God punishes people by giving them trials? No, I think that he does it because he loves us and wants to shape us into the people he knows that we can become.