Cherie - USA

I believe that a person can become friends with their biggest enemies. All my life, my sister and I have hated each other. As far as I can remember, we were always fighting. I know it sounds like a typical story and no one gets along with their siblings but it impacted my life greatly. She was so verbally abusive that my self-esteem was shot. I never had a normal childhood and I truly believe that my years in grade school were so horrible because of her. I never had any confidence. I look back and cannot believe all the things we used to say and do to each other. Once a day she told me she hated me and at least every couple of months we would get in a physical fight. My mom did not know what to do and I knew that there really was not much that she could do. The first eighteen years of my life I did not have an older sister and I never once had a normal conversation with her. We knew that we would never get a long.

About a year ago I was going through a really hard time trying to figure out who I was. I had just broke up with my boyfriend and decided to turn my life around. In the process of this, I noticed my sister having a hard time in her life too. I don’t know what got in me but I decided to talk to her about it. It was crazy because I was so nervous to even be in her room and it felt awkward to talk to her. Day after day I kept going in there and our conversations became longer. The more we talked, the more we realized we were the only people that understood what each other was going through. After this experience, we started hanging out. Who would have known that we would like the same people and that we had a bunch of things in common. Now, no one can make me laugh like she does. I never thought that my best friend would be the stranger sleeping across the hall.