Feeling Alive

Andrew - Miamisburg, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

What is going to happen in my future? I have no idea, but I can tell you that every time I think about my future, I worry. Through my life experiences I have come to realize that I am frightened by something worse than what may happen. I am petrified of what may not happen. For this reason, I believe in living a life with no regrets. Never say no, and take every opportunity that comes along.

Last summer I had relatives from out of state come to marinate and have a pleasant vacation. Since they stayed for only two weeks, I hardly had any time to enjoy their presence. It seemed like every day I was out doing something different like going to a movie, or playing soccer. On one of the final days my family was back home, I decided to go hiking with everyone. I felt wonderful walking through the beautiful state park (it was summer and I had been training for high school soccer try-outs, which I was greatly looking forward to). Along with a couple of my cousins, I ran ahead to an enormous rock. Once gazing upon it, I knew that I must climb it. It was magnificent, the color, the size, and the perfect split up the middle to climb in. Before climbing down, my cousin jumped across the gap in the rock that must have been six feet wide. Seeing the thrill he got from it, I had no second thoughts of what I was about to do. Swiftly running towards the edge, I leaped with all I could, and made it! However, my foot landed on the side of a rock that was sticking up. Landing awkwardly, my ankle gave out. I couldn’t walk. Luckily my ankle wasn’t broken, but I had a severe sprain and bruised a bone.

My highly anticipated soccer season abruptly came to an end. I was unable to try-out and played only half of the season. Within all of this bad I found some good. I felt the excitement of facing life head-on with no fear. For a short amount of time I felt as I was the greatest Super Smash Brothers player in the world and I have no regrets about what happened. I take chances and throw myself into Earth’s wilderness.